One thing I love & absolutely cannot live without are BAGELS! I love sesame seed bagels, onion bagels, cinnamon bagels, everything bagels, even those rainbow ones that have no flavor- yeah, I love those too. They are incredibly versatile, perfect for every occasion & fit within my BGB (Broke Girl Budget).
Since I’m in a caloric deficit at the moment, I did some research & shopped around for low calorie bagels with a decent protein count. Thomas’ Bagel Thins were the closest I could find with a whopping 110 calories for only 4 grams of protein per serving. In other words- too low for JoJo. High protein bagels simply don’t exist. Which is great, because now I could take this opportunity to get creative and bake some gainzzz.
After a few trials & several errors, I finally figured out the science to baking the perfect high protein bagel. My secret ingredient? Unflavored protein powder. This is my way of treating myself while keeping my macros in order. I know what you’re thinking, “Protein Powder? Gross! These bagels will have a chalky aftertaste”– but they don’t. And once you dress them up in seeds & add Bacon, Egg & Cheese between two slices- you’ll thank me later.
So, let’s get into it! It’s super easy &
really all you need are these 3 main ingredients.
- All Purpose Bleached Enriched Flour
- Non-Fat Greek Yogurt
- Unflavored Whey Protein Powder (I use this one)
Some helpful tools you’ll need to get the dough rolling are:
- 1 cup All Purpose Bleached Enriched Flour
- 1 cup Non-Fat Greek Yogurt
- 1 scoop Isopure Protein
- 2 tbsp Egg Whites (only if adding seasoning)
- Everything Seasoning for Bagels (optional)
- Combine the flour & protein powder in a bowl, and mix well.
- Add greek yogurt into the protein-flour mixture. This gets a bit messy, so I start off using a silicone spatula but eventually you'll have to work the greek yogurt in with your hands.
- At this point, you should have a tacky dough-like texture. Cut your dough in half & then cut it in half again. Creating 4 separate pieces.
- Roll each piece into a rope-like shape & connect the ends to create the bagel. Again, this will be super tacky & messy. So we're just going to do the best we can!
- Preheat your oven to 375° & place the bagels onto a silicone mat over a cookie tray.
- If you plan to add some seasoning, dip your silicone brush into the egg whites & make sure to cover the top of your bagels. Be as generous with the coating as possible. We want those seeds to stick!
- Sprinkle as much seasoning as your heart desires.
- Pop the tray in the oven for about 25 minutes. Every oven is different, so definitely keep an eye on it & prepare to take them out once the edges start to become a golden brown.
- Allow bagels to cool down & enjoy!
Given the nutritional facts above, I found this recipe works best for me. It’s allowed me to still enjoy carbs, while maintaining my HIGH-PROTEIN lifestyle. I must’ve made these bagels at least once a week since my discovery- some days I’ll make a sandwich out of it, other days I’ll have it with cream cheese. The possibilities are endless & I know you’ll definitely love ’em!