Aside from being an “amazing” food blogger & macro tracking beast- I am also a HUGE taco enthusiast! I love watching YouTube videos on how to make authentic tacos, I love creating my own variations & I love taco nights any day/any night.
Roland said it best #IfYouKnowYouKnow
In honor of #TacoTuesday
I bring you my favorite low-cal low-carb Shrimp Taquitos! And you’re so welcome for this! 😉
I have always loved Mexican food- its the pique, the freshness, the saborrr! I mean, how can you not?!? I never understand people who can’t decide what to eat for dinner. For me it’s always Mexican, without hesitation. Nam sayin’! ::In my Cardi voice::
Everything from tacos, to quesadillas, to elote, to flautas.. I love it all!
Since I began eating “cleaner” I’ve found Mexican food to be the smartest & healthiest choice to have, especially when eating out. (Which I rarely do, but I’ll make sure they have tacos on the menu if I am!)
How tacos have helped me maintain…
Well to start- they’re packed with protein! Think lentils… meats… fish/seafood… cheeses… no matter how you dress it up, tacos are built for success. Unless you’re adding sour cream. Don’t add that stuff, it’s full of fat. I think I mentioned this tip in my Greek Chicken Pita post– you can swap out the sour cream for greek yogurt or low-fat sour cream if it’s a must for you.
Tacos are also topped with the freshest ingredients. As long as you’re smart with your tortilla choice & sauces- there’s no wrong way to do tacos. I’m always on the look out for good low-cal carb options & I found these Carb-Balance Street Tacos by Mission. Each tortilla is 35 calories with 3g of protein! 😍 So you can have as much as you’d like guilt-free! Yessssssssssssssss!
Low-Carb Shrimp Tacos
- 5 oz Shrimp Deveined & Tail Off
- 1 tspn Cajun Pepper
- 1 tspn Salt
- 1 tspn Pepper
- 1 tspn Garlic
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Garlic clove
- 40 g Cheese I used Low-Fat Mozzerella
- 3 Tortillas Street Taco Carb Balance
- Mixed Greens
- .5 Haas Avocado Optional
- 1 tbsp Pico De Gallo Optional
- Cilantro Optional
- Hot Sauce Optional
- Season shrimp with dry ingrediants (salt, pepper, garlic, cajun papper). Mix well to make sure shrimp is totally coated.
- Heat up both sides of tortillas on uncoated pan. I like them a little burnt, so I leave them on for a long few minutes.
- Chop garlic clove into small pieces. Place small skillet on medium heat. Heat up olive oil & cook garlic clove.
- Once oil is hot & ready- add shrimp to skillet & cook side for about 5-8 minutes. Filp shrimp & cook on other side until pink/opaque. Once shrimp is cooked thoroughly, remove shrimp from the skillet.
- Once tortillas are ready & to your liking, add shrimp & toppings. Everything I added is completely optional & up to you! I like to add lots of cilantro & hot sauce for every flavahhhh- but you can opt out if you prefer to.
- Serve immediately & buen provecho!
I think we can all agree- no matter how you make your tacos they add to any social, any day! They make you look like you know what you’re doing & they’re good for everyone. It’s a win any way you slice it. But also if you’re planning a taco party, invite me! XOXO