I was today years old when I discovered people are out here microwaving cakes in mugs. W H A T ! That’s possible? Howww? Apparently this is BIG on TikTok. So I did what any normal millennial would do… I jumped on that band wagon & made a personal chocolate cake in under 5 minutes. How could I not?! I friggin’ loooove cake!👩🏻🍳
Now, the original recipe calls for 2 ingredients- crushed Oreos & milk. Nothing more, nothing less. Pretty easy, right?! And while, there’s nothing I like more than a quick meal- this is just completely lacking protein. It’s all carbs & fat. Dassit & that’s gross! So I thought why not turn this into a protein mug cake? It can only elevate this B.A.R. (Basic Ass Recipe). Yes, I’m THAT corny.
This cake serves as a really great treat for anyone struggling with sweet cravings, like myself. You know who you are & it’s totally fine! I can’t stress that enough. It is 1000% okay to eat cake while “dieting”- as long as you track your calories. At the end of each post, I include nutritional facts. Why? Because understanding the importance in tracking macros & how it collectively plays a part towards weight loss is essential. I have goals I want to bring to fruition & I can only achieve them if I know exactly what’s in the food I eat. If you’re reading this post, I’d assume you have your own goals. So count your macros, make this protein cake & treat yoself!
I am living for this cake trend! Oreos have been my guilty pleasure for yearrssssss- so I was especially excited to try this out. The regular Oreo cookie is a bit high in calories for me (53 cals for 1 cookie)- so I buy Oreo Thins. Each Oreo Thin cookie is 35 cals instead, which really makes a difference when you’re having 4 or 5 in one serving. Click here for low-cal Oreos.
Also, if you’re a chocoholic like me, you mustn’t skip adding Hershey’s Unsweetened Cacao powder for a little extra umpfff!
Don’t have Oreo protein? I got you! You can find Body Fortress Cookies & Cream here!
Continue scrolling to learn how you too, can make a sweet microwavable treat!
Protein Mug Cake
- 1 scoop Cookies & Cream Whey Protein Powder
- 5 Oreo Thins
- 1 tbsp Hershey's Unsweetened Cacao Optional
- ¼ cup Water or Milk
- 2 tbsp Coconut Whipped Cream Optional
- 1 tbsp Hershey's Sugar-Free Chocolate Syrup Optional
- Place oreo cookies in mug & crush into fine powder
- Combine dry ingredients with oreo cookies & mix thoroughly
- Add milk or water to oreo/protein mixture. A little goes a long way, if the mixture becomes too watery, you may need to add more powder or cookie to balance it out.
- Stir together & make sure everything combines nicely. The mixture should form into a thick batter-like texture.
- Place mug in microwave for 40-60 seconds. If mixture still appears "wet", heat up mug for another 15-30 seconds. It really depends on how hot your microwave gets, so keep an eye for exploding cakes! Trust me.
- Allow mug to cool down in fridge.
- Add whipped cream, syrup & enjoy!
CAUTION: This mug will be HOT out of the microwave, so definitely be careful & allow enough time for your cake to cool down before indulging!
This Oreo cake reminds me a lot like a molten cake (a popular dessert that combines the elements of a chocolate cake and a soufflé). So goooood! A helpful tip to achieve this “molten cake” texture is to add chocolate syrup to the mixture before placing it in the microwave. This will add rich chocolatey gooeyness to the mug cake.
After 2 failed attempts at making this- I realized I was pouring too much batter into the mug which caused the cake to rise, overflow & explode. Oooooopsie! Best practice is to pour your batter 3/4 of the mug.
Yet again, TikTok influences me to try one of their trendy recipes & it has been my favorite protein dessert by far! If you haven’t made a mug cake by now, what are you waiting for?! This is the one, I promise you won’t regret it! XOXO.