I try to go food shopping at least once a week, but sometimes “life happens” & BOOM! I’m home, I’m hangry & I have absolutely nothing to eat… Grrrrrrrrreat! 😑
Depending on my level of hunger & energy in the moment- I’ll either a.) run out & grab Chipotle or b.) flip this kitchen upside down to see what I can put together. Fortunately for me (& my sanity), I had just enough ingredients to make a Greek Chicken Pita sandwich. My fave! Plus, let’s be honest Chipotle lines be trippin’ & I don’t have time for that. At least today anyway…
Let’s make this pita ya’ll!
What I love about Greek food is the majority of their dishes are full of different textures, flavors, herbs & spices. Keep in mind, I’m not really reinventing anything here because chicken pitas are already high in protein. Which is awesome! But at the same token, we will be substituting a few things based on 1.) I’m hangry & 2.) this is a last minute meal I’m making here- so bare with me! I promise this will still be muy delicioso. So there’s not much to it, but to do it & per usual- we’ll start with protein! Shocker.
High-Protein Greek Chicken Pita
- 2 Whole Wheat Pocket Pita
- 8 oz Chicken Breast
- ¾ cup Water or Chicken Broth
- 50 g Parmesan Cheese Finely Shredded
- 102 g Cucumber
- 88 g Red Pepper
- 62 g White Onion
- 2 cloves Garlic
- 1 oz Non-Fat Greek Yogurt
- Lemon Optional
- Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper For taste
- Season chicken with salt & pepper.
- Heat up olive oil in non-stick skillet over medium heat.
- Place chicken breasts in skillet, allow to brown for 10 minutes.
- Flip over & cook other side for another 10 minutes.
- Add water to skillet, place lid on top & lower burner from medium to low heat. Cook for additional 10 minutes, then remove from heat.
- In a standing mixer, place warm chicken breasts into bowl & mix on low speed until chicken is shredded to desired texture. (I stick within a 45-60 second window when shredding my pollo!)
- Chop up garlic cloves, & slice peppers/onions.
- In a small non-stick pan, heat up olive oil over medium heat. (Just enough oil to cover the bottom of the pan. Alittle goes a long way people!)
- Brown garlic cloves for 5-6 minutes. Add peppers & onions. Once your veggies have softened up (above 15 min), remove from heat.
- Chop up cucumber into chunks.
- Assemble your pita!Greek yogurt to add some creamy texture! Shredded chicken for the gainzzz! Veggies for flavah! Cheese because- who doesn't love cheese on everything? (Plus Parmesan Cheese has the highest protein count of all cheeses- WIN!) Cucumbers for crunch! Parsley for a little touch of love! And last but not least, I like to squeeze a lemon over the whole pita for sour refreshment! Yummmm.
This was my first time shredding chicken in a standing mixer- to my surprise, it worked really well! I mainly use my mixer for baking, but I’m happy to learn it’s multi-functional & I can use it for other things. If you’re serious about cooking or baking, I strongly suggest investing in a KitchenAid mixer if you don’t already own one. You can find a cute one, here!
So this pita- filled with juicy gainzzz- is only 357 calories. Generally any meal under 400cals is ideal for me. I find happiness in knowing I can eat more meals a day, even if that means smaller portions. I’m weird, I know. Regardless of this being an impulse meal & not having all the traditional ingredients, this was still exceptional as is. Plus, Chipotle’s good & all but have you ever had a JoJo chicken pita? Hmmmmmm?