If you’re anything like me, nine out of ten times I’m craving Latin food all day, errrr-day. So sometimes ya girl has to get a bit creative in the kitchen to satisfy my tastebuds while remaining on track. #Goals.
This morning, I was craving a hot & spicy breakfast sandwich. Now, there’s no true art to making the perfect high-protein sandwich, but I always like to figure out my meat first & build from there. In this case, I happened to have chorizo. Scooore! Yes- chorizo is high in saturated fat & sodium, BUT it’s also a great source of protein. So having it once in a while, works for me! Once you have your base locked down, all the other toppings just fall into place. In this case, I added egg, cheese, black beans & greek yogurt to jazz it up as additional great protein choices!
In order for this to be a sandwich- we need a good carb option, right?
Let me put you onnn!
I found this brand online- “Flatout Foldit Flatbread“. (Say that three times.) Only 90 calories with 8g of protein. Most bread options are like 190 cals for 2g of protein, so this is a BIG DEAL my friends. You can find this low-cal flatbread here.
Cheesy Chorizo Egg-wich
- 2 Chorizo sausages *Goya brand is the best!
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Large Egg
- Salt & Pepper *optional-for taste
- t tsp Butter
- 12 g Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- .7 oz Black Beans
- 2 tbsp Pico de Gallo
- .7 oz Non-Fat Greek Yogurt *optional-for gainzzz!
- 1 Foldit Flatout Flatbread
- Melt butter in a small non-stick pan on low heat.
- In a small bowl, whisk egg & sprinkle salt/pepper for taste.
- Once buttered pan is hot & egg mixture is ready to go- add the egg to the pan. Be sure to keep an eye on your eggs & stir around every 3-5 minutes. Eggs tend to cook quickly!
- As the egg is cooking- drizzle olive oil in a large non-stick pan on medium heat.
- Lay chorizos on cutting board & slice into several small chunks. Once the larger pan is hot, throw chunks into the larger pan & move around- so all edges of the sausages are thoroughly cooked.
- Check the scrambled eggs. Once your eggs are perfect & fluffy, take off heat & put to the side.
- After about 30 minutes, the edges of the chorizo chunks will appear "browned" & crispy. Once you're at this point, remove from heat & turn off burner.
- I personally like my flatbread toasted- so I set my oven to 350° & put the bread in a pan to toast for about 15-20 minutes.
- Assemble your Chorizo Cheesy Egg-wich with a side of Greek Yogurt (to substitute Sour Cream) & some spicy Pico de Gallo for an extra kick.
I allllmost made two- but for 578 calories, I really couldn’t afford to intake 1000+ cals so early in the day. It’s a struggle to remind myself to eat until I’m satisfied instead of eating until I can’t move #FATGIRLPROBLEMS. Not only did this satisfy my appetite, but also my craving for a Latin breakfast- which was the point! For 46.8g of protein, I’d say this was successful! It was super quick & easy to make & paired perfectly with my Cuban coffee. What’s great is that this is also customizable- so try it out, switch it up & let me know what you think!